A. Criminal mischief is the intentional performance of any of the following acts:
(1) Tampering with any property of another, without the consent of the owner, with the intent to interfere with the free enjoyment of any rights of anyone thereto, or with the intent to deprive anyone entitled thereto of the full use of the property.
(2) Giving of any false alarm of fire or notice which would reasonably result in emergency response.
(3) Driving of any tack, nail, spike or metal over one and one-half inch in length into any tree located on lands belonging to another, without the consent of the owner, or without the later removal of the object from the tree.
(4) The felling, topping, or pruning of trees or shrubs within the right-of-way of a state highway, without prior written approval of the chief engineer of the Department of Transportation and Development or his designated representative, provided prior written approval is not required for agents or employees of public utility companies in situations of emergency where the person or property of others is endangered.
(5) Giving of any false report or complaint to a sheriff, or his deputies, or to any officer of the law relative to the commission of, or an attempt to commit, a crime.
(6) Throwing any stone or any other missile in any street, avenue, alley, road, highway, open space, public square, or enclosure, or throwing any stone, missile, or other object from any place into any street, avenue, road, highway, alley, open space, public square, enclosure, or at any train, railway car, or locomotive.
(7) Taking temporary possession of any part or parts of a place of business, or remaining in a place of business after the person in charge of such business or portion of such business has directed such person to leave the premises and to desist from the temporary possession of any part or parts of such business.
(8) The communication to any person for the purpose of disrupting any public utility water service, when the communication causes any officer, employee, or agent of the service reasonably to be placed in sustained fear for his or another person's safety, or causes the evacuation of a water service building, or causes any discontinuance of any water services.
(9) The discharging of any firearm at a train, locomotive, or railway car.
(10) Repealed by Acts 2008, No. 8, §2.
B. Whoever commits the crime of criminal mischief shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or be imprisoned for not more than six months in the parish jail, or both.
Amended by Acts 1956, No. 232, §1; Acts 1958, No. 174, §1; Acts 1960, No. 77, §1; Acts 1963, No. 97, §1; Acts 1968, No. 647, §1; Acts 1977, No. 126, §1; Acts 1983, No. 428, §1; Acts 1986, No. 164, §1; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 118, §1; Acts 1995, No. 882, §1; Acts 2006, No. 11, §1; Acts 2008, No. 8, §2.